Administrative Announcements & Discussion/Feedback

How can we Revive This Place?

Started by Sir-Charlie 83 posts last post 8 days ago Page 4 of 5

#61

Hmm, lets think... Maybe because there are some people here that either are rude to newcomers, or like to start some BS over every little thing. If we can't keep that sort of behavior out of here, then naturally people are not gonna interact.
Alex Chapman (Alexoloopios)

#62

The problem is that you can't reform something from the inside alone. I know it from own experience. I don't really want to involve politics but I must do it for context. I feel sorry for Ukrainians but also for Russians. I am not in favor of Elten's official position on the war because both nations suffer. You can't reform something like that from the inside if even the main developer doesn't share your views. So I get why Karmien didn't even try, although he had different problems, I know.

-- (Sir-Charlie):
@35, honestly none of what you say matters to me because you chose to run away rather than having a serious conversation as a fellow staff member. If you had a problem with what was going on, you had a chance to reform it from the inside. It wasn't as if you tried and I refused. You just ran and then started criticising my style.
This wasn't a courageous resignation in protest, it was the coward's way out.
I don't really care to litigate the holocaust posts with you because that should have been something handled in private, but I'll say that I don't appreciate the suggestions that I'm a holocaust denier or support those views. There are multiple posts in there where I condemn Holocaust denial. Most of my posts in there were for adding additional context or providing my opinion. I stand by the notion that the holocaust isn't that much of an issue in the public conscience outside Europe, and possibly the US purely because of their large Jewish population and Israel, because duh. It's not that we don't care, it's just that there are other tragedies of our own to focus on, and people will naturaly focus on the issues closer to home.
Some of the posts of mine were in fact taken out of context, and I'd appreciate it if you were to fact check your bot next time.
--

Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό

#63 1 like

I'm not anti-American at all. In fact, I have several American friends who are genuinely very intelligent people. But this post is a textbook example of why almost 90% of people in Europe think Americans are stupid. I'm not saying that's what I personally think, because I believe that's a generalization. But overall, I find the way you think about the world extremely sad.


-- (Sir-Charlie):
As for the free speech thing, it's something I genuinely believe in, regardless of who we're talking about. In fact, it's official forum policy that criticism of public figures has a significantly higher threshold to engage moderation procedures.
I think a debate about this wouldn't go anywhere because Europeans have a more restricted view of free speech than we do in the Americas just because of various factors.
Basically the stance now is you're fine, just so long as you aren't overtly hateful, particularly toward a fellow forum member, and don't post child porn.
--

Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό

#64

It's a hopeless case. It's in their genetics, you can't let them believe the opposite.

-- (daszekmdn):
You with your big America. The world doesn’t revolve around your country.
--

Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό

#65 Edited

Americans are literally genetically European.
@59/56, What are you even talking about? And to whom?
All that I survey, I could easily destroy. From time to time, it is important to remind these small creatures of the true extent of my power.

#66 1 like

SirCharlie: I think a debate about this wouldn't go anywhere because Europeans have a more restricted view of free speech than we do in the Americas just because of various factors.

Also SirCharlie, a few hours later: Americans are literally genetically European.

Wow. Just wow.

Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό

#67

yeah, uh, this thread is getting off-topic. But elten has been talked about on ag.net so we'll see how this goes
signed, Mayowa Arogundade

#70

Interesting. Looks pretty new, but also somewhat inactive. Will see what happens...
McOi

#71

Let's go, we made honorable mentions! Mama, we made it!

#72

Total libtard humiliation. Just utterly crushed.
Chesterton, G.K. "When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing; they then become capable of believing in anything."

#73 3 likes

When you grow up a bit, you will understand not everything is about politics, and thinking you're humiliating people who think differently to you is covering up for your insecurities, not making anyone else feel bad or convince them to think otherwise.
I am not a liberal and yet I know exactly what sort stage you're in, been there, done that.
Now, I promise to not contribute to the offtopic mess, thanks.
Senter San

#74

It is objectively humiliating for a moderator to want to resign over incendiary opinions expressed in a thread that called on respondants to express them because someone voiced opinions they weren't personally comfortable with. And it is doubly so that what actually triggered the resignation was frustration that he could not institute de facto blasphemy laws to formally penalize such opinions. These facts only relate to me insofar as my views are the source of his discomfort and frustration, one could easily envision an alternative scenario in which the source of both is the views of someone else. It just so happens that I have views radical enough to trigger this kind of situation. But I would be reacting the same way regardless of who actually caused it because the display he's put on is frankly pathetic and merits ridicule. And the same is true of the theatrical hysterics coming out of the similarly outraged, some of whom went so far as to call for my ban and claim that Elten as a platform could be charged with a criminal act for hosting my speech. I hope you can see how hollow a lecture on maturity for a little (justified) trolling and triumphalist rhetoric rings in the face of these things.
Chesterton, G.K. "When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing; they then become capable of believing in anything."

#75 8 likes

The saddest thing is that the thread which was meant to answer the question of how to revive this place ended up showing, quite clearly, why it's so difficult to do so.
#StandWithUkraine

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

#76

Actually, Pajper, this is the best summary of the entire thread.
greatings, Felix, alias Karmien

Mastodon: @randomfelix@dragonscave.space
WhatsApp: +4915560642152
Discord: felixius2084

#77

find its reboot card

#78 3 likes

@74 We got you're superior and smart and can express yourself so awesome. You can remove the stick from your after now.

#79 1 like

william shakespeare has found his disciple

#80 2 likes

Kez needs some rezz. In terms of rezzerection. :p. You're phrases and proverbs are dry and boring af.
And Pajpers summery is goated. Though sad.
I think too many here have superiority complexes...
McOi