General Discussion

What do you like the most about being blind? And what do you hate the most?

Założony przez DianaCician 76 wpisów ostatni wpis 8 dni temu Strona 4 z 4

#61

we is, uh, IDK anymore
signed, Mayowa Arogundade

#62 Edytowano

Yeah @mayowa ofc there are but it isn't really the same.

#63

Yes, apparently. You said it, apparently.
You did, we just said why it's not really a bennifit and moved on. This ain't the speech synths thread right?
-- (MayowaArogundade):
we is, uh, IDK anymore
--
McOi

#64 Edytowano

I get that not everyone is obsessed with speech synths, and for many, it’s just a basic tool. But I actually think sharing them with sighted people can be a really cool thing. A lot of sighted people have never heard text-to-speech outside of basic GPS or Siri, and they can find the faster speeds or older/nicher engines (like Eloquence or DECTalk) genuinely fascinating. Personally, I’m a bit of a synth nerd myself, though I usually keep that obsession to myself or a few close friends. Still, I don't see it as a bad thing to show sighted people that side of our tech—it can be a neat way to bridge the gap and show them something they’d otherwise never experience.

#65

And this is why I have to disagree with 13.
Chesterton, G.K. "When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing; they then become capable of believing in anything."

#66 1 polubienie

Nah a lot of the people here are really annoying but I made a lot of interesting friends I wouldn't have otherwise
All that I survey, I could easily destroy. From time to time, it is important to remind these small creatures of the true extent of my power.

#67 Edytowano

right guys, so where were we? Oh right. What I do like (which I don't know if anyone elses country has it) Is that in some places there are signs with braille on them that tell you what room your in and so on in hotels and other places. I also like how we have TVI's, because some schools don't really acomidate us
signed, Mayowa Arogundade

#68 8 polubień

TBH what I really hate is all the insecurity that comes along with it. Like for me life would've been a lot easier if I wasn't so insecure by not being able to read people's emotion for example. Or just all the awkward little moments, for example being alone somewhere you weren't before and finding your way or asking for help or something.

#69 2 polubienia

I feel this so hard. I hate not being able to read facial expressions or body language. Sure I can tell if someone's hunched over or something based on where their voice is coming from if they talk, but other than that, nope. Regarding asking for help, agreed there as well. I've got a streak of pride about a billion miles wide, and sometimes swallowing that and just asking for help if/when I need it is a real bitch.
-- (rudolf):
TBH what I really hate is all the insecurity that comes along with it. Like for me life would've been a lot easier if I wasn't so insecure by not being able to read people's emotion for example. Or just all the awkward little moments, for example being alone somewhere you weren't before and finding your way or asking for help or something.

--
Regards, Joseph

#70 3 polubienia Edytowano

The worst is, people can mess with you. Their voice can tell a lot, but someone might mess with you in a way you don't see. Heck you don't even know if they put on a smile regardless if you can see it or not. They could mean 0 words of what they told you.
McOi

#71

Why would you like it. This should be the least people can do to compensate us, so we don't walk in complete confusion.
-- (MayowaArogundade):
right guys, so where were we? Oh right. What I do like (which I don't know if anyone elses country has it) Is that in some places there are signs with braille on them that tell you what room your in and so on in hotels and other places. I also like how we have TVI's, because some schools don't really acomidate us
--
McOi

#72 1 polubienie

Speech synthesizers are tools. I was fascinated about testing new voices when i was a kid. Now? I'm not fascinated anymore.
Sygnatura to może być w sądzie. Sygnatura sprawy np. :P

#73

So I surprised myself today by noticing I've not actually posted my opinions about my blindness in this thread.
Long story short I hate my blindness. Like Charlie said pretty much one of the only benefits I can think of is some of the people I've met because of it (emphasis on some.) Especially considering I'm approaching the age where most people would learn to drive near enough, along with me starting a new part of my education in like 3 days I felt like now would be a great time.
I would be interested to see some of your other positives though aside from the points about screen readers and programming which have already been discussed. Let's discuss.

#74 1 polubienie

So I thought about this and music appreciation.
Not saying of course that a sighted person can't or doesn't have this, but who knows if I was so fascinated by music and sound if I was sighted?
I hate most things about it, but no point going on a rant.
Senter San

#75 1 polubienie Edytowano

I'm aware this is loaded but. I hate being victom of a tasteless thief probably having a lot of demons. I mean stealing from a blind guy is more than tasteless to say the least. For what I know it could've been a person that has been in the room with me and taken out my microphone as he left, if yes I would've seen it and that would've not happened. Course that maybe wasn't the case, probably rather over night but still.
Another thing, people can be good at acting. But their face sometimes reveals more than a voice does. we won't ever know.
McOi

#76 1 polubienie

I neither hate nor like my blindness.

What makes me angry is that many sighted people try to take advantage of it and are then surprised when I figure out what they're doing.

I don't like being dependent on others. But I do like the fact that I have to pay close attention to all my remaining senses.

In my opinion, many sighted people rely far too much on their eyesight and tend to neglect their other senses, such as hearing and touch.

Paying close attention to my other senses helps me pick up on things like: Is someone annoyed? Is someone just talking to me out of politeness, or do they actually want to have a conversation with me?

I've been blind since birth. I'm married to a blind man, and we live independently, not with our parents.

But yes, being treated like a retarded person just because you're blind really pisses me off.
Umarmungen sind Worte einer Sprache, die viele kennen, aber nur wenige verstehen.