@djsenter Have you actually gotten anywhere with this?
I'm not interested, I'm very happy with what I do right now, and I don't think anything else would even come close salary-wise, but I definitely know people who might be.
undefined method 'signature' for # (NoMethodError)
I can fully agree. I am out of my parrents house since i was 16 and it really helped me get independend, and i am mostly living alone since 2024. I don't blame anyone who can't afford it though as we are all in lots of different private situations.
100 I would also be interested if this worked for you, since i wanted to try that route. I tried fiver but i couldn't get the interface to work, and freelancer.com i couldn't afford.
-- (mikolajholysz):
@ArcticMoon
I consider a dorm to be "moving out." Nothing wrong with that. Moving out doesn't mean you need to buy your own house or apartment outright. Even sighted people don't do that, not unless they're trust-fund babies or something. Living in a dorm, with roommates, or even with other blind friends in the same situation, are all perfectly acceptable ways to do it.
For me, moving out is ultimately about taking control of your life and not being subject to the whims of your family. There are far too many blind adults who are told not to do this or that. If you move out, nobody has that kind of control over your life, not unless you let them.
--
greatings, Felix, alias Karmien
Mastodon: @
randomfelix@dragonscave.spaceWhatsApp: +4915560642152
Discord: felixius2084
I don't tell them. As soon as they want to talk though, they recognise. And from there you are done. A few weeks later you are going to get an email explaining that the position is full or it's not you who they are looking for.
I don't know how it's like in the US but in Europe, but rather in Hungary, most blind people either work at our organizations for the blind, or they pack stuff. Of course there are a few programmers and lawyers but that's like 5 percent of our community.
-- (Sir-Charlie):
@97, why do you even tell them you're blind anyway? You should wait until the interview itself before you pull out that card.
--
Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό
Does that meet Hungary's standards of having a job after finishing university so you don't need to pay back all the money you get to study free? We have a system which requires us to work for at least 900 working days after our graduation. If we don't meet this criteria, we must pay all the money back that the government gave us to study for free. We have about 20 years to do it but if I work for a company which is based outside of Hungary, I'm not sure if it counts. Also I would have to pay completely different taxes, even if I'm tax free in Hungary because I'm under 25. So yeah, it's complicated.
-- (djsenter):
How about trying with an international company?
There are so many freelancers and even actual companies recruiting online.
Someone to do their audio editing, transcribtions, writing AI prompts, articles, translation, blah blah.
Qualifications are one thing, but if you know how to solve problems that people have and they are willing to pay you, that's something.
--
Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό
As for registering on freelancer sites, yeah... Good luck. I tried. I registered on a lot of them but they either want you pay monthly to keep up your profile so people will find you, or the page is unusable with a screen reader. And before you accuse me of not knowing how to use a computer, I am someone who tries even with a mouse and OCR if something's odd. And well, AI is capable of doing most of the jobs freelancers did before.
Όταν θα κοιτάς την θάλασσα
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα βλέπεις εμένα
Και τα μάτια σου θα ‘ναι θλιμμένα
Όταν θα ξυπνάς στον ύπνο σου
Χωρίς να το θέλεις, θα σκέφτεσαι εμένα
Και θα νιώθεις μεγάλο κενό
It is, but not really.
You need to know how to use it well, write good prompts, otherewise it'll end up as AI slop which is going to require more work to reverse it's mistakes than actually anything of value imo.
Senter San